Friday, April 21, 2006

Black Media Evolving, Please...I Hope

I would like to take a moment to talk about my new favorite channel, TV1. I watch it on Direct tv, but I think it's available on Comcast also. This new network has everything, talk shows, cooking shows, great reruns and gospel on Sundays. It's also the first black network I've seen since BET. I've heard about a black family channel, I but don't watch to much family programming. Brief network descriptions.

TV1 is the next generation of black televised media and I'll be so bold as to say, much better than it's predecessor. I never liked BET. Even when I was 15 and suppose to like tv with little or no depth, I didn't like BET. All this network does is show videos and comedy shows. Black music is an important part of our culture, but goodness...how many time can you here, "Holla!" or "OKaaaaayyyyy!!" before you feel as if you are watching a mentrual show? BET has a show called,
"Lil Kim: Countdown to Lockdown"
following the final days of Lil Kim's freedom before she goes to jail for perjury. What the hell!? Who's idea was this? (and why she's in jail and R. Kelly still roams free is for another post, and yes there will be one)

BET, on some occations lifts up, or highlights some of the worst aspects of black culture. An example being the 'thug' culture. Yes, it exists. Yes, it's part of who we are as a people. But do we have to fly the thug flag on high, every weekday 7pm-6 central? All the while chanting, "Pimps up, hoes down." That's not good. That's what I would call, putting your buisness in the streets, dirty buisness. I feel well within my rights to ask, again, "What the hell?". BET has gotten internation attention for being so bad. An article was written in Canada questioning the network. But at the time, they had no other sources of black entertainment for television. They were kind of stuck, and I guess so were we. But not anymore!!**does small jig**

One of my favorite shows is 'TV One on One' with host Catherine Hughes. She has great guests, and she isn't a stupid interveiwer, asking questions we've heard answered before. I love her and her show. Over the weekend I caught two other specials on TV1. The first about the decendants of slaves in South Carolina, the other about blacks and plastic surgery. Good stuff.

I just want to leave the reader with a little something that prompted me to write this post. It's a clip from The Boondocks, a show on the Cartoon Network. You can watch the whole episode or click the fast forward to 18 min 20 sec in. It's the last bit that makes you question the messages we are receiving and sending out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices seeking the shoes are about 350 dollars on every page. But for all I set this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what do you think?

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home