Sunday, July 08, 2007

In The News.....

I'm thinking of a few sub-headers for this section of the blog. 'In The News' is the official header. Depending on what I'm talking about, I'm playing around with 'America is Dumb'. If I go more specific, maybe, 'People Are Crazy'. And last but not least, my personal favorite, and the sub-header I will most likely use the most, 'That's Why I Don't Like Black People.'

Let's start with my favorite... =)

The NAACP had their newly appointed president Bruce Gordon resign not to long ago. That was a shame and a blow to progressive thinking within that large and powerful organization. I found this quote:

"I think he saw his job as remaking us to make us more effective,
but his job was to do what the board and management wanted,
He was not a good fit for us, but he could have been."


Can you believe that a man was forced out of his job because he was trying to make his organization more effective??? He didn't want to play step and fetch-it with the board. Insanity.

Gordon also clashed with board members on his vision for the organization. Where board members wanted to retain social justice activities, Gordon wanted to implement social service efforts, including programs to help African-Americans build wealth.

That's where the real work needs to be done. Encouraging black business and entrepreneurship within the community would strengthen it so much. There is a major lack of self-sufficiency within our community. It's not lacking because of laziness, it's lacking because of absence of know how. Will someone please teach a Negro how to fish, anyone, anyone??

Perhaps Mr. Gordon's willingness to make large changes to move the organization forward was what caused the conflict.


Gordon was also apparently trying to move the organization to include public service and assisting in minority business development. The board of the NAACP wanted to remain primarily a social-justice organization. This is where I see the major problem. I am concerned about the relevancy of the NAACP in an ever changing world, one where the power of single issue interest groups is waning and the power of the grassroots over the internet is growing. The Social Justice approach is important, and the NAACP must remain an advocate for the rights of Blacks. However, the NAACP must also be willing to change and to grow in the ways that the community demands. I don't see how it could be a bad thing for the NAACP to expand into realms such as public service and minority business development.


I don't understand why the NAACP can't do both. The advancement of colored people doesn't just involve protests and rallies and press conferences and banquets and fund raising and award shows. They should be helping us move forward as a people in every arena. RACISM ISN'T OUR ONLY PROBLEM.

What is most troubling is that the NAACP seems to be rejecting grassroots organizational tools like public service and business development. Now is not the time in history for the NAACP to constricting their mission.

Oh!! And speaking of award shows... I haven't forgotten about you nominating fucking R. Kelly for a fucking NAACP Image Award. Advancement of colored people indeed. That man is on a sex tape with a naked little girl, and she is peeing on herself!! Yeah, I saw the tape. Shame on you NAACP. Black people, humph. - mel

3 Comments:

Blogger state of our union said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:56 PM  
Blogger state of our union said...

wait, wait, wait, I don't remember her peeing on herself...did I take a snack break during that part? I do recall him pissing his entire 72ounce big gulp all over her, though....a damn shame.

I completely agree with you on the NAACP's desire to solely remain a social-injustice organization. Racism has LONG left the form of burning crosses in the front yard. We are up against the much more sneaky forms such as gated communities, major retail businesses NOT being in predominantly black communities, and not being able to say nigger in a joke at the board meeting because, what? you are the nigger..AND not invited to the board meeting.

I'm sorry, Bruce Gordon, but there is a need for your ideals and action for the advancement of Black people. I recall once upon a time when we were colored. That was over 40 years ago. Let's ante the fuck up and move our asses into the future.

-von

6:57 PM  
Blogger state of our nation said...

OMG...sooooo true. And speaking of 'nigger', did you see that dumb ass funeral the NAACP had for the word 'nigga'? I was done. DONE. I honestly wanted to run up to that tacky ass hearse and kick it. All that crap was for show. SHOW. I am forced to repeat, 'That's why I don't like black people'!!! Niggas. Yeah, I said it. With thousands of our young men in prison, and thousands not going to graduate on time, or dropping out of school or excluding college as an option, these people are worried about a word that is as old as this country itself. The freaking NAACP needs to address the culture, the anger and the disfranchisement of black people who feel the need to use the word. Fix that, and the word will fade. But you can't force a word out of someones mouth, mind or heart. -mel

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home