Monday, July 24, 2006

When I think of home...

You know that song from 'The Wiz'... Diana Ross sings when she is about to go back to Detroit. yay! Detroit. lol. Anywho, I had a moment like that this weekend when i went to get my oil changed. I stood in the heat, drinking a warm 7-up, leaning against a cement wall. The smell of oil and grime in the air. I felt like a kid again.

***sung to the tune of "Home" by Diana Ross***

When I think of home I think of a place, that is filled with strange men working on cars. When I think of home I think of a place with men who don't wear shirts, and women who curse at them. I think of farmers tans and cigarette smoke and half empty beer cans on the sidewalk. I see rusted out water heaters in the backyard of abandoned houses. I see spiderwebs and dirty carpets that tenants have let their pets pee on.

Suddenly my world has changed it’s face, but I still know where I’m going.
I have had my mind spun around in space and yet I know i'm growing.

And then I think back to all the years spent... the summers slow days...I close my eyes to see scars and burns...rusty nails and broken glass in gravel.

I see chained up dogs and barefoot kids playing on the corner...i hear the wind blow through the trees and the distant sound of cars passing by...ex cons and cops smiling at me, for very similar and very different reasons.

Living here, in this brand new world
Might be a fantasy...but it's real...its my new reality.

Being a child in any place, makes that place safe, makes that place yours makes that place home!

Like yours
Like mine
Like Home!!!!!

thank you, ladies and gentlemen.... **bowing**
(appearntly many people, who grew up without tv or movies, haven't seen the wiz...so the song is below)

-mel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home